Combination Hair Loss Therapy

Medical Therapy for Hair Loss

Heredity accounts for 95% of all the cases of alopecia (baldness) for men and women in this country. The remaining 5% of the cases can be due to a number of things, including diet, stress, illness, and medications.

Factors that can cause hair loss include:

Medications, vitamins, or minerals. Drugs used to treat high blood pressure, heart problems, depression, or gout; chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer patients; unusually high levels of vitamin A or low levels of iron or protein; for women, birth control pills can cause hair loss. Hair styles like tight braiding, hair extensions and hair weaving can cause physical trauma or traction alopecia.

Illness. Thyroid disease, severe infection, or flu; fungus infections such as ringworm of the scalp

For women, childbirth may cause temporary hair loss due to the changes that take place in the body. In some cases, adults or children may have a condition known as trichotillomania, in which there is a compulsion to pull out scalp hair, eyebrow hair, or eyelashes.

The physicians at McGrath Medical have worked closely with medical colleagues and pharmacists to develop safe and more effective combination topical therapies to improve patient’s cosmetic outcome.

What Are the Treatment Options for Hair Loss?

Rogaine (topical minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) are the only drugs approved by the FDA to treat pattern baldness (hair loss resulting from hereditary causes). Rogaine is a topical solution that is applied by directly rubbing it onto the scalp where hair growth is desired. Only about 10% to 14% of the people who try this lotion experience hair growth. However, Rogaine lotion can help to slow hair loss.

Propecia is the first pill that can treat male pattern hair loss. Like all prescription products, it should be given under a doctor's care. While it is effective, if treatment is discontinued, results may not be maintained.

A procedure called PRP (platelet-rich plasma), used over the last decade to help people heal after joint surgery, is an option for some people with hair loss. Dr. McGrath has been a leader in PRP hair loss therapy incorporating ACell Matristem a wound healing medication that helps to stimulate cell regeneration.


Laser hair therapy is another non-invasive treatment for early hair loss for both men and women. Laser caps have proven safe and effective for maintaining existing hair and in some cases encouraging new or more vigorous hair growth.

Current Medical Therapies for Hair Loss

McGrath Medical has been a leader in both medical and surgical options for hair loss. For many patients with thinning hair medical therapy is the first option, especially for young men and women with diffuse hair loss.

As medical therapies for hair loss have evolved it has been noted that combination therapies have been most effective. Also, patients are often averse to oral medications like finasteride that in some cases cause sexual dysfunction in a small group of male patients and is not safe for women of child bearing ages.

Exciting Combination Therapies

Dr. McGrath has worked closely with medical colleagues and pharmacists to develop safe and more effective combination topical therapies to improve patient’s cosmetic outcome.

The patients below have utilized Dr. McGrath’s combination hair loss therapy to achieve hair regrowth without surgery.

My son started showing hair thinning as early as 9-10 grade. We didnt even look for help because he was young and we thought our only remedy was surgery. After high school, we interviewed several of the top Hair Restoration Docs in the country...McGrath Medical was the only one thats said, lets start slow and see if the less invasive treatments work, we were apprehensive because my son just wanted results and was tired of dealing with it. So they started with medication, its been 6 months and we are blown away!!!! He started seeing results at 3 months! I cant imagine how great it will look after a year! He looks like regular kid with a regular head of hair. I wished I had know about this while he was in high school, I would have had him on this medication his freshman year! Everyone is so friendly too, all the office staff, Dr McGrath, his PA; they actually treat us like they care about any questions we may have, and they're more than happy to help us!! I kick myself every time i think, how easy and inexpensive it was to help my son with this problem....Do Not Wait! - CH